Giving it all up so Dave can return to school has NOT been easy. Dave often feels overwhelmed with the demanding work, stress of working on patients, and parenting responsibilities. I don't usually get as stressed, but it is no walk in the park to parent 4 kids, one with additional medical needs, mostly by myself. The other challenge is the slow rate of progression. A lot of our friends and family are actively working toward their career and financial goals, while we are still in school. We were feeling especially frustrated with our cheapo camper, used vehicles, and house projects over break. Dave didn't even want to go to his White Coat Ceremony because he felt like he needed to tackle more projects around here.
The White Coat Ceremony marks the half way point of dental school and the opportunity to begin working on patients in the clinic. The ceremony was also just what we needed. The president of the dental school spoke about the first 2 years of dental school being THE MOST challenging course of study. I know that I felt very proud of Dave at that moment, and I could tell by the big smile on his face that he was proud of that accomplishment too. When they called Dave on stage for his white coat, we all cheered loudly then the clapping quieted and Cora yelled "Go Daddy!" Everyone chuckled and Dave's face lit up on stage! It was the perfect time to recognize Dave's achievements in academics as well as fatherhood.

No comments:
Post a Comment