We really wanted to take our girls skiing last winter, while we lived in Cheyenne, but it was tough to find a time with healthy kids, decent weather, and available ski lessons. This year we scored with a beautiful Saturday in March. Megan was even available to watch Indie in Laramie so Indie's day was made too! We missed out on the morning ski lessons so signed everyone up for an afternoon lesson and tried to wing it on a beginner hill. We later realized that there was an even easier Bunny Hill, but oh well.
The first time getting off the ski lift and getting down the run was pretty sketchy. Dave had the older girls and I got to hang out with Cora. It had been a decade since I had been skiing; I had no clue how to teach someone so I just stretched out my pole in front of Cora and we made it down together (even though her ski kept trying to fall off.) I took her back to the lodge to get her skiis tightened and by the time I got back, Milan and Eden were already riding the lift and doing down the run by themselves! After a couple more runs, Cora was ready to go by herself too. She mastered a deep squat for slowing down, which was effective and hilarious to watch.
The girls were doing so well by afternoon that we decided to skip their lesson and try out some blue runs together. They did great until the very last run; at that point they were exhausted and ready to give up so we called it a day. It was a fantastic first day and they all said they would like to go again. We're considering getting the Epic Pass through the Guard so we have a fun winter activity next year!
After our family ski day, Dave and I both felt the itch to try out some of the more difficult runs. We took advantage of a Wednesday off work and some nice weather for a "team building activity." Since we're working together now, we get to call our mid-week dates a business outing so that's a win. We basically had the whole place to ourselves, but were a little disappointed that the runs were icy. We found that the backside had better weather and snow conditions so we hung out there most of the day. I had felt pretty confident skiing at the girl's level, but keeping up with Dave was difficult. I fell A LOT, but didn't get seriously hurt and still managed to have a lot of fun.









No comments:
Post a Comment